If you’re searching for a special dessert, then this is it! And believe us when we say it’s worth it. We use our acacia honey to sweeten the Swiss meringue in this classic pie—the perfect topping for the tangy lemon filling.
Lemon Meringue Pie with Honey Meringue (a tart and sweet classic pie)
What you need:
• ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts • Edible flowers for garnish (optional)
For the Lemon Filling:
• 1½ cups water • 1 cup sugar • 1/3 cup cornstarch • ½ cup fresh lemon juice • 5 large egg yolks • 3 tablespoons salted butter • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
2. Bake the Pie Crust: Unroll the pie crust and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the edges under and crimp. Place parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake according to package directions. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Make the Lemon Filling: Bring the water, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan and cook until thickened. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add a little of the hot water mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the remaining hot water mixture to the egg yolks. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Stir in the butter and lemon zest. Transfer the filling to the pie crust and cover directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while making the meringue.
4. Make the Honey Meringue: Prepare a double boiler. Bring about an inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, and honey in a medium bowl that fits into the saucepan without touching the water. Cook over the simmering water, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until the egg white mixture reaches 160°F. Transfer the mixture to a heavy-duty stand mixer. Add the vanilla and beat the mixture to stiff peaks.
5. Finish the Pie: Remove the pie from the refrigerator and top with the meringue, spreading all the way to the edges to seal the filling. Use a kitchen torch or oven broiler to toast the meringue. Cool the pie to room temperature the refrigerate for about 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Garnish the pie with edible flowers, if desired. Cut the pie into wedges and place on serving plates. save the bees